Saturday, June 5, 2010

A Friend's Love

Accomplishment! You can count all my blogs on one whole hand (:

   I just arrived home from a birthday party. And it wasn't just a birthday party, it was a slumber party! Until last night, it had been so long since I went to an actual slumber party.
   I remember as a little girl from the ages of about 6 to 11 or so, all the little girls I grew up with would have these cute little slumber parties. We would have our traditional pillow fights and movie nights....but I also have some of thee greatest memories from those exciting nights with my closest friends. For example, when I was younger, I didn't eat a lot of sugar because I was in gymnastics and my mom wanted to keep me healthy. So when I was about 7, I wanted a taste of rebellion and I seriously loaded up on sugar at my friend Haylee's birthday. I mean loaded. From cake, to candy, to root beer floats and ice cream. Later that night while ten little girls got all snuggled in their sleeping bags, all tightly hugging their blankys and stuffed loveys, I totally barfed up every last thing i ate that day all over everyone! Unfortunately I wasn't invited to her slumber party the next year. (giggle) :p
   Over the last 24 hours, I've been thinking alot about friends. I've shared some pretty impacting memories with my buddies, that's for sure. Honestly, I'd hate to imagine my life without them. At the young age of 2, who would I share my coloring books and boogers with? As a 5 year old, who would I play princess with as we dreamed of pretty dresses and ponies? When I was 8, who would have climbed to the top of a construction heap during a thunder storm, bringing every metal item to the top to see if we could get struck by lighting, and at 10, who would have held my hand as I went on my first roller coaster ride? At 11, who would hold me as I lay in a broken heap on the floor, pouring out endless tears as I watched my family slip away? As a 12 year old, who would have been the only one to accept me and love me as others avoided me because I was just trying to be me
   As of today, I am surrounded with the most amazing group of friends. I know alot of people probably say this, but I don't care how often it's been said. The last year of my life has been full of life altering decisions. But through everything I've gone through, I have also met some of the most life altering people. I know that I am accepted and loved beyond words. The girls that surround me, they uplift me daily, they comfort me and treat me as though I have value. They aren't afraid to correct me. They do everything they can to make sure I don't fall. And when I do find myself on the ground, there are always many hands waiting to pull me back up. And on top of that, they embrace me with warm hugs and laughter to lift my spirits as well.
  To me, trust, love, and hate are 3 of the most strong words. And they are all words that mean alot to me in my life, and can apply to the people that surround me....
Trust: I can confide in my friends when I'm going through tough times, and I know that they will be truthful. I know they wont stand on the side lines and watch me destroy my life with bad choices. I can trust that even if it means I hate them for a while, they will do whatever they can to help me live righteously in the eyes of God. And not only do we help each other, we try to live our lives in honesty, in everything that we do and  with everyone we encounter.
Love: They love me enough to be truthful. They surround me with Godly warmth and joy that surpasses any I've felt from worldly friends. Together we love the people we are surrounded with, from new faces to our families, all working toward loving people the way God loves them. And as I've dealt with insecurities....they don't put up with it. I never knew I could receive so many cute little compliments in a life time...let alone one church service!
And lastly...
Hate: They love me and trust me, and as a group we stand firm and we stand strong against the enemy, holding up one another as we battle the trials and tribulations that each of us face. Together, we strive to hate what God hates, and we fight against the one who tries to tear any of us down.

I've come to appreciate these precious people in my life. I know without a doubt that God has changed my life through many things, especially my friends. I love how in a group, we can talk about things like eating healthy, who's all going to the next Friday night evangelism, and brainstorming new ways to better ourselves. Opposed to former groups I was part of that talked about forming bulimic groups, new things they did with their boyfriends and what we were all wearing to the next school dance.
 I am becoming a better Taylor in God, with so much support from the people He has placed in my life. I can't explain how amazing it feels to have this kind of love for others all the while I'm being loved back. And not only do I see their love for me....I see God's love through them. Do you take time to step back and realize the people God has placed in your life? The people that truly love you, the special ones who always find a way to make you smile? Like the cute slumber parties I was part of as a little girl, who in your life is right beside you to create new memories for you to hold on to for the rest of your life?

John 15:12- " My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends"
Proverbs 17:17- " A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity"

No comments:

Post a Comment