Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Fathers Day!

Well, I believe this to be my eighth post! And not only is this the ninth day that I attempt to share something small with the world, but it is my first dedicational post. ( Not sure if that is a word). This one's for you dad......


     I grew up in a fairly normal American family. I had my biological parents and my little red-headed sister who is about 3 and a half years younger than me. I was taught in public school, and I always strived for straight As and honors. I was dedicated to gymnastics and every other sport available. I thought my life was average, I thought it was simple. And at the age of 10, aside from the frequent fighting, and the pile of problems we dealt with, I thought my life to be good..... If only I knew how much better it was going to become.... 
   I know that my life could have been pretty bad. I could have been a starving child on the streets of L.A. as a prostitute or something. And although I wasn't, I still have a life full of memories that haunt my mind once in a while. Looking back now, I realize what really went on in that little mobile home where I spent over half of my life. I can see who I would be today if I would have continued in that life style. When my biological dad left us, and a whole new book of problems was opened, I know I would have become something I couldn't face in the mirror.
   Today, at church, our pastor taught on the love of the Father. Honestly it was a little hard to keep myself from crying. The way Pastor Steve described our heavenly Father- the love, the passion, the sacrifice- I couldn't help but be reminded of a truly incredible man.
   David came into my life on November 10th, 2005, only 13 days before my 11th birthday. He came to the door of the house where my family had been so deeply wounded, with a bright, warm smile, 3 candy bars, 2 stone-carved zebras from Africa, and a indescribably beautiful heart. His and my mom's first date included my little sister and I. We went to Abby's pizza and he gave us just about every cent he had so we could play the arcade games. ( I don't think I even won anything!)
   From that day forward, even through some of the most difficult times in my life, he was 100% there for me. In every aspect of my life, he was there with a strong, comforting hand to help me. He gave me reassurance when I was in doubt. He gave me encouragement when I felt like I couldn't accomplish something. He made me feel worth, when I felt like I was worth nothing. He was strong for me when I was weak. He loved me with a love that could have only came from my true heavenly Father.
   I haven't heard of many men who would have stepped up to the plate like David. Our little trio was probably a lot to handle for a guy who had been single for 15 years. A 7 year old who was a handful at times, an 11 year old who didn't want a new dad, and a mom who was fresh out of a 12 year marriage with no money, and no place to go seems like a challenge to me. He could have backed out before things got too hard. He could have went after any other single woman. He could have thrown in the towel when my sister and I seemed to hate him. But he persevered and stayed strong for my mom, my sister and I. When things got so out of control and so ruthless, he was still here!
  I look up to him so much. He has taught me the most amazing things. He has taken me to the most random places. He has helped me grow up and build such strong character that I don't think I ever could have acquired if it weren't for him. Through him, I am so indescribably happy. So content with where I am in my life. If it weren't for him, we wouldn't have moved to Eagle Point, and I wouldn't be part of an amazing church, and I wouldn't be growing into a beautiful woman of God. I honestly could have become that 15 year old mom. That girl with insecurities so big that I would do absolutely anything to be accepted. That young teen who doesn't posses any motivation for a plan or a future. I would probably be on a painful track on my way down to hell.
  David has shown me who God the Father really is. Because of him I have a blossoming relationship with my amazing Father. Just as God sacrificed his only son to brutally die on the cross for me, I know without a single doubt, that David would die for me. I know that he would make the biggest sacrifice if it meant saving me, my sister or my mom. He has been patient, he has been kind. He has been strong, he has been gentle. I understand today what that deep hole inside me as a little girl was. It was the hole that had yet to be filled with the love of a father. Not a biological father figure......but a daddy. And today, as I am on my way to 16 years of age I am so extremely proud to call David Garth McMillan one of my best friends, my teacher, my support, and....
                              My daddy.

I love you so much dad. You mean the absolute world to me. ( Even when I make you mad because i melted mom's scissors and her pot and almost killed the family with toxic smoke.......) Happy Father's Day!!!

Poverbs 20:7
The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him.

Deuteronomy 1:29-31

Then I said to you, "Do not be terrified; do not be afraid of them. The LORD your God, who is going before you, will fight for you, as he did for you in Egypt, before your very eyes, and in the desert. There you saw how the LORD your God carried you, as a father carries his son, all the way you went until you reached this place." (NIV)
 
Psalm 103:13
 As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him; (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment